Cannot start SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services
Now, this happened to me while applying SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Cumulative Update 6 in preparation for my Configuration Manager installation.
The SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Found out that it timed out after 30 seconds and retries this. One thing I attempted to do was to increase the time out period to 60 seconds. Here’s what I did.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
- In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.
Note If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
- Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.
This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.
- Restart the computer.
Attempt to install CU6 again, and this worked for me 🙂